Saturday, October 3, 2015

A life observed

Is it possible to be greatly influenced by someone even if you don't spend great quantities of time with her? I'll answer my own question: YES!

Joyce Harrington, mom of Mitzi and Rhonda, has been influencing my life for the past 22 years. Ms. Joyce, as I have fondly called her from Day 1 (hoping that was okay when I could have just asked!), loves the Lord, loves her daughters, and loves living missionally. While I doubt she would call her lifestyle one to be emulated (she's too humble for that), she has left a trail of faithfulness that I am following closely.

Mostly, I'm looking for clues... you know, those tips or subtle guides that point you in the right direction. Joyce has followed the Lord for longer than I have been alive. She has experienced the highest highs as well as the lowest lows of public ministry. Yet, she continues to follow ... no, not just follow ... she continues to cling to God and to expect Him to fulfill the promises He has drawn her to throughout His Word.

While I've never heard her say this, I'm guessing that one reason she clings to God and expects Him to live up to His promises now is that she has seen Him do it before. He has walked her through marital, ministerial, and physical challenges that might knock another big, strong believer down for the count. But, instead, Ms. Joyce comes back up praying boldly, passionately, and consistently. I'm thankful to be on that prayer list at times.

Several times in the last few years, I confess to wondering when it would be a good time to step down from my various ministry roles and let the next person in the next generation have a crack at them. And then I see Ms. Joyce helping with yet another Senior Adult Luncheon or supporting yet another women's ministry event or coordinating yet another mission project at Baptist Friendship House, and I am reminded that stepping down is not an option.

To step down is to step out of God's will because there is always more to be done to advance the kingdom of God. No, it doesn't mean I don't switch roles ... goodness, if someone hadn't done that before me, I might never have had the unique opportunities given to me through my years serving at FBNO and NOBTS to develop the spiritual gifts God entrusted to me.

I'm finding myself not looking forward to telling certain people goodbye as the end of our time in New Orleans draws closer. Ms. Joyce is one of those people but I know that's okay because I'm pretty sure that, even when hundreds of miles separate us, I'll still be watching what she's up to and learning just the same.

No comments: