Monday, March 5, 2012

Weather Blues

Somebody PLEASE remind Mr. Weather Man that it is early March, and we would like some cooler weather! I don’t mean to be picky or not appreciate the blooming azaleas but it’s hard to get excited about breaking records for this time of year with our temps in the 70s and 80s!

It’s really about expectations. I mean, if it were May, I’d be appreciating a forecast of temps in the 70s and 80s. Why? Because that’s when the 90s start debuting, and I know that the 100s are not far behind. I expect it to be cooler in the winter and hot, hot, hot in the summer. What I don’t expect is for summer to show up early and winter to not get its turn to show off.

As you well know, life is full of unfulfilled expectations. I don’t think it’s bad to have expectations or goals or dreams (as a matter of fact, we better have them or we’ll have to tear out a page or two from Scripture), but what we do when God writes a different script tells the true tale of our faith. How do we adjust to the unexpected?

I’ve been praying for a friend whose 29-year-old son was killed recently in a military mission. So unexpected. So difficult. It makes my complaints about the weather seem so trivial and petty because, well, they are.

We need to consider what we’re doing with our unmet expectations. Maybe it’s time to stop whining and start trusting because only God knows when an unexpected and very difficult turn will come our way. We don’t want to be caught worrying about the weather and miss the opportunity to ‘faith’ our loving, all-knowing God!

1 comment:

Judi said...

I should note that I wrote this on Friday when it was warm and muggy and all around yucky out. Saturday was cooler but very windy and a little rainy. I was nervous because I was registered to run in a half marathon on Sunday, and I couldn't imagine running in either of those two weather conditions. Well, I've just got to brag on God because Sunday's weather was AMAZING, especially for a long run like this: 50s, clear skies, little wind, just incredible! Sometimes God just likes to surprise us!