Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Picasso Would Be Proud!



The Picasso Party was a blast! Thirty-six women spread out across the Creole Room with easels and canvases, doing something many had never done before.

I loved this event on so many levels. One, I love when adults try new things. I remember a bunch of years ago when a friend introduced me to the question: “When’s the last time you did something for the first time?” Adults tend to be scared of trying new things. What if I fail? What if I’m not that good at it? Well, what if you are? What if you find a new hobby or talent or even a new friend while you’re doing it?

Second, I love the idea that when we draw, paint, craft, or whatever you call it, we are imitating the Master Creator, and He loves to be imitated! With a stroke of the brush and splash of colors, we all produced vibrant ‘masterpieces.’ While they may all seem to look alike, a closer glance would reveal that there were a lot of unique canvases. God created beauty and allows us to individualize our expression of His gift.

Third, I didn’t think it was a good idea to have an event on the Thursday night before Spring Break. I figured too many ladies would be packing up and moving on. You proved me wrong. Apparently you were willing to stick around for something fun and different. I was schooled!

My takeaways from Picasso Night:
• Local artist Tonya Mohler is an organizational genius and teaching phenom. We all finished within two hours and were relatively pleased with the results!
• Ladies bond over shared experiences. The seeds of new friendships were planted as ladies painted together.
• Coffee punch is a crowd pleaser!

No comments: