Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Excellence vs. Perfectionism

At the QUEST Panel Discussion/Luncheon a couple of weeks ago, we explored the seminary’s core value of Characteristic Excellence. Sharon “Dr. T” Thompson and Beth Masters did a great job challenging us to remember those who have modeled excellence for us and to follow their lead as we guide others.

What I didn’t know when I asked them to participate in this event together is that they both grew up at First Baptist Church of Pensacola, FL, and that Sharon actually attributes Beth’s grandmother with having inspired her toward her love for missions. Wow! That’s a legacy of excellence!

I really appreciated one of the audience questions trying to differentiate between characteristic excellence and unreasonable perfectionism, especially with the scheduling loads so many of us try to balance. The response was a reminder to make sure we are taking care of what’s important in the big picture of our lives, doing what we can to do these things with excellence. Then we can -- and should -- consider what God wants us to add … and only add what will honor Him.

Ouch! It appears that characteristic excellence can collide with our habitual busy-ness, even when what keeps us busy is good. As one student offered, “Just because it’s a good thing doesn’t mean it’s a God thing.”

What did you do with your day off last week? Hopefully, you took advantage of the change of schedule to do one thing with excellence, instead of a million things just to get them done. ME? I did two biggies (at least big for me): I ran the distance of a half-marathon just in case I don't get out there on Sunday for the Mardi Gras Rock-n-Roll Half that I'm signed up for; AND I cleaned out my upstairs office at the seminary so that now it is empty and ready for someone else to fill it up with their important things. Sure, there were a lot of other things I could have done but, on THAT day, I wanted to do these two things with excellence. I hope God smiled.

No comments: