Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Can it be saved?


It broke. As I finished filling the muffin tins, this perfect-sized green mixing bowl slipped out of my hands, onto the ceramic tile floor, and broke in two almost-even pieces.

In the six-and-a-half years I’ve had this bowl, I have used it a lot. It is the perfect size for cake mixes, muffin batter, mashed potatoes, tossed salad, and so much more. And now it is in two pieces on my kitchen counter as I try to decide if it can be saved.

I hate to toss it out. Not because I am a hoarder (contrary to some people’s opinions). Not because I can’t buy another (even though it was a part of a set that I got as a gift when replacing Katrina-lost kitchenware). I hate to toss it out because I wonder if it can be saved. If glued back together with the amazing E-6000, will it still be useable?

I’m so glad God doesn’t deliberate over our salvage-ability this way. From what I can tell from reading Scripture, it seems that God welcomes us in our brokenness and makes us new in His strength, power, and wisdom. He doesn’t worry that we’ve tarnished His reputation, or even that we may mess up again. He just starts the “new creation” process with a little transformation here and a little pruning there, and kingdom usefulness results.

The jury’s still out on whether I’ll try to save the perfect green mixing bowl but I am so thankful today that I’ve been redeemed and rescued by our good and perfect God!

1 comment:

Judi said...

I glued the bowl back together this weekend but I don't think I'll be using it for food prep anymore. It was damaged more than I expected so now it will become a mixer of other things . . . but certainly not disposed of!