Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Giving up Clutter for Lent

Whew! I don’t know about you but I’m glad last week is behind me! While I loved having a day off for Mardi Gras, negotiating the madness in the city left me a bit frazzled.

And here we are, heading into Lent and pondering what this will mean to us Protestants in a great big Catholic city. Sure, it’ll probably be easier to get a seat at Outback over the next five Friday nights. But, then again, the price of crawfish will be at a premium during the same time. Oh, the quandary we find ourselves in!

On a deeper note, the concept of ‘giving up’ something for 40 days seems a little shallow unless, of course, it costs us something. So, what are you giving up for Lent? What is cluttering the quality of your life and relationship with the Lord that you can put aside to give you more time or room to breathe?

I’ve decided to combine Lent and Leap Year. I’ve decided to de-clutter my world of at least 29 things that I value but just don’t need or have a place for. Of course, these words are easier typed than lived but my goal is to live out Hebrews 12:1 and so, surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses (you!), I am setting out to throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and run with perseverance the race marked out for me. To be able to do this, I’ve got to keep going with verse 2: fixing my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith.

So, keep checking the Swap Shop, you might find a Leap Year/Lent treasure you can use!

No comments: