Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Missing Ingredient


Last Saturday I had a hankering for chicken tortilla soup … correction, HOMEMADE chicken tortilla soup, which is interesting since I’ve never made it from scratch before.

Nevertheless, I downloaded a recipe from the web and started gathering ingredients. Since it was going to be in the crockpot all day, I didn’t panic when I realized I was missing a few things … I mean, how important are black beans and cumin when you have all the other stuff? I finally got around to a Wal-Mart run a couple of hours before the soup was to be ready and, boy, am I glad I did! While the soup would have been edible without black beans and cumin, what a difference they made to the quality and taste of the finished product!

Our lives are busy and it’s easy to think that ‘good enough’ will do. But I hope as you ramp it up for this spring semester, you’ll give specific thought to what will make it an ‘excellent’ experience in every area – academically, socially, spiritually, and so on. Don’t settle for edible when your taste buds are craving cumin! Go the extra mile to make the most of the opportunities God is giving you this semester … to HIS glory.

And as you do, please be praying for student wife Rachel Haley who was in a bike accident last week and will spend the better part of this semester recovering from a broken leg, broken clavicle, and other injuries. We’re praising God for the progress she’s already made and know He is using this experience in her and Abe’s lives as well as many in their spheres of influence!

No comments: