Thursday, January 31, 2013

Extreme Dreams vs. Scary Nightmares


What an amazing week I had! On behalf of the seminary, I attended the annual National Sports and Recreation Ministry Conference in Orlando (the event formerly known as Rec Lab). Not only did I get to visit a wonderful city but I was privileged to hang out with incredible people who do ministry with a “whatever it takes” mentality! I sure wish you could meet my friends John Garner, Tommy Yessick, Myrna Gregory, Tiffany Moore, Chuck Connor, Jenny Hemmer, and a whole lot more mission-minded folks who believe I Corinthians 9:22b is their mandate to ‘play with a purpose.’

At our closing banquet, Pat Williams, Sr. VP of the Orlando Magic, offered a challenging presentation on characteristics of extreme winners (which you can read about in his new book The Ultimate Road Map to Achieving Your Dreams.) Williams’ first point (and the only one I’ll mention here) was that extreme winners have extreme dreams. He’s quite the story-teller so his explanation was laced with anecdotes about people who had not settled for small dreams: people like Martin Luther King Jr., Amelia Earhart, Michael Jordan, and Ben Carson (google him, great story).

As I reflect back over Williams’ passionate presentation, I am wondering at what point in their lives those goal-setters realized they were pursuing extreme dreams. I think most of us are afraid to dream THAT big because, well, racial equality, flying around the world, and being the best basketball player seem like such unreachable possibilities. Or maybe that’s the point! They didn’t see them as unreachable … perhaps they figured someone was going to do it, so why not them? What one person calls a scary nightmare, another person describes as the ambition of a lifetime.

So I can't help but wonder what you’re dreaming about. I imagine some of you are reaching for things that would make me hide under my bed but that’s because it’s not God’s dream (or to reference Hebrews 12, God’s race) for me. But I pray you go after that dream with all you’ve got because we’ve been challenged to do what we do to the glory of God … and that’s what turns scary nightmares into extreme dreams!

No comments: