Saturday, March 8, 2008

Faith Struggles

I was asked to contact someone who visited my church recently. I couldn't reach her by phone so I tried email. This was her reply:

"I am actually not sure about going to church at all at the moment. I'm having some struggles with faith and I really don't believe that baptist church is the best place for me. Thank you for trying to get in touch with me at least."

Oh, how honest is this! She doesn't know me, so maybe it was just safe. "Some struggles with faith" . . . what does she mean by this? Who doesn't struggle with faith? Who doesn't wonder at times why God is silent or why God is directing in a way that isn't our own plan or why He doesn't seem to take away our pain?

I appreciate this young lady's honesty. I'm just sad that she's choosing to put aside church for the time being. While some churches may not be the best places for clarifying faith struggles, they're certainly better than some of the alternatives (bars, malls, gyms, etc.). I'd rather have her struggling with faith in a faith-centered environment. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe she'll see God more clearly somewhere else. I just pray she doesn't find a listening ear in someone who won't point her to the One who loves her most.

I say, go ahead and struggle with faith. Daily. Don't take it for granted. Don't let it become mundane or unappreciated. Allow God to show Himself faithful every day in His way, not according to your expectations but according to His word. It's not the easy way, but it is the better way.





No comments: