Saturday, March 29, 2008

By the water

Psalm 1:3

"And he shall be like a tree, firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers."

Water. My friend. My foe. My nourishment. My nemesis. Can't live with it. Can't live without it.

Too much, and the streets flood. Too little, and the plants die.

Water makes its mark. Water leaves its mark.

Before August 2005, I only knew a watermark as a symbol on a fancy piece of paper. Post-Katrina, it has a whole new meaning. It's the line on houses, street signs, trees, and more to show how high the water got. Even more, it indicates that the water stayed. It left its mark.

They say that water is the magic potion for weight loss. You drink it instead of soft drinks and other sugary beverages, and you are on your way to a healthy weight.

Water freezes, and people pay lots to ski on it. Water heats up, and people head to the beach.

Jesus called himself "the living water." What does this have to do with me?

More thots to come . . . .

No comments: