Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Red Sea Rule #1 (Exodus 14:1-2)

Realize that God means for you to be where you are.

For some, this 'rule' brings a smile to your face because this time of 'social distancing' brings much-needed 'me time' or family time or catch-up-on-projects time or, well, you-fill-in-the-blank time.

For others, this is perplexing because 'social distancing' means too much 'me time' or family time. :) OR it means you can't work which means you can't make money which means, well, it means the dominoes start falling. OR maybe you struggle with anxiety and depressing, and all of this change and uncertainty is making you feel ALL the feels. OR ... well, there are a lot of other ORs.

Author Robert Morgan says to "take a deep breath and recall this deeper secret of the Christian life: when you are in a difficult place, realize that the Lord either placed you there or allowed you to be there, for reasons perhaps known for now only to Himself."

The times in the past when I have picked up this book, I have found myself in places I really, really, really didn't want to be. Somehow, being reminded that where I was didn't surprise God was a huge relief. It was then that I could begin to open my heart and mind to the possibility that He would meet me there and use the situation to teach me, change me, and show me something of Himself I couldn't learn any other way.
 
So, here we are. Being side-tracked by COVID-19 may be central in our news feeds right now but I imagine a lot of us have other things screaming for our attention as well. Take that deep breath, underline and/or memorize John 16:33, and then cling to this promise:

"The same God who led you IN will lead you OUT."

Questions to ponder (RSR, 17):

·         Red Seas come in all shapes and sizes. What’s the Red Sea you’re focusing on for this journey?

·         Why is life so hard? Why do problems persist? Why do we encounter these Red Seas?

·         Be honest – how have you been initially reacting to your own Red Sea experience, whatever it is?

·         How can embracing Rule #1 affect your response?

No comments: