Tuesday, August 21, 2018

INTRODUCTION to In His Image (Jen Wilkin)

So, who do you think I look like? My mom or my dad? Most people think I resemble my mom but I definitely have some of my dad's characteristics which, of course, makes sense since he's, well, my dad. :)

Sarah gets tickled when people tell her she looks like a mix of Allen and me. "How I am supposed to respond?" she says. "I mean, it's better to look like a mix of y'all than someone else, right?"

It's perfectly normal for us to look like our parents -- or a mix of the two. It reminds me of the nature vs. nurture debate over the years. We look like our parents because of genetics but we sometimes act like them because of nurture. Bottom line is we pick up traits of people around us.

As those who claim God as Heavenly Father, we know we have another influence in our lives. We see this first in Genesis 1:27, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." 

Created in the image of God ... not an exact replica ... but created to reflect Who and What He is!

In the book we're studying this semester In His Image, we are challenged to stop asking "What is God's will for my life?" and, instead, to ask "Who does God want me to be?" If we focus on the WHO instead of the WHAT, we have a quick and directed answer: Be like the very image of God!

Check out this progression if, indeed, we understand that God's will for our lives is that we be like Christ:

Romans 8:29 "For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."

But why be conformed to "the image of His Son"?

Colossians 1:15 "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation."

Hebrews 1:3 Christ is "the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of His nature."

How can we know how to do this?

1 Peter 2:21 "For to this you have been called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in His steps."

What's the bottom line here?

1 John 2:6 "Whoever says he abides in Him ought to walk in the same way in which He walked."

Jen Wilkin points out that this is not just about actions. "If we focus on actions without addressing our hearts, we may end up merely as better behaved lovers of self. Think about it. What good is it for me to choose the right job if I'm still consumed with selfishness.... A lost person can make 'good choices.' But only a person indwelt by the Holy Spirit can make a good choice for the purpose of glorifying God" (13-14).

This reminds me of Jesus' words in Matthew 5:16, "Let your light shine before me, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

So why this book?

  • Pretty cover and good price (Lifeway's July half-off sale caught my attention!)
  • Author is well-known Bible study author (https://www.jenwilkin.net/)
  • The title ... it is a phrase I used for signing letters and emails since early adulthood (maybe because of my photography; maybe because I was compelled even then to consider what it would mean to be created in the image of God).
  • The synopsis on the back cover clinched it. (In addition to the "Who should I be?" redirect, the back cover text included: "Through Christ, the perfect reflection of the image of God, we will discover how God's own attributes impact how we live, leading to freedom and purpose as we follow His will and are conformed to His image." WOW!
Jen Wilkin states on page 17 the purpose of the book: "So this is a book that intends to, once and for all, answer the question of God's will for our lives. It intends to illuminate the narrow path for those of us who have grown forgetful of its existence or have wondered if it can be found."

She points out that the answer we are looking for is not hidden. It shows itself to those who have learned to ask, "Who should I be?" It shows itself to those whose "deepest desire and dearest delight" is to be remade ... IN HIS IMAGE ... one carefully placed step at a time (17).

My mom passed away almost 18 years ago at age 66. So many times I wish I could ask her for advice about a difficult situation or ask how she did something or just talk. But I can't. I've got photo books and other memorabilia but it's not the same as having her here.

God has left us with so much ... His Holy Spirit to guide us ... Jesus' example to follow ... His Word as "a lamp to our feet and a light to our path" ... we don't have to guess. We can move forward confidently, knowing He wants us to know Him and to copy His attributes. 

Lord, don't let us get distracted by hard stuff. Instead, keep us focused on who you are calling us to be and to keep this the main thing. How I pray for a heart that is not content with "good enough." I want to be like You.


No comments: