Thursday, March 21, 2013

How Much is Enough?



I taught from Luke 10:25-37 last Sunday. I didn’t choose it; it chose me. You know how it is with Sunday School curriculum; you just go with the flow.

But as I was studying for and even presenting the lesson, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I wasn’t done with it. Nope, it felt like a review – a pop quiz – might be in store.

And, sure enough, on Tuesday, I got a call from someone in need. Not money-in-your-ashtray ‘in need’ but, wow-can-I-really-give-that-much ‘in need.’ I found myself at a real crossroads: “How much, Lord? How much should I give? How much is enough?”

When the Good Samaritan stopped to help the beat-up stranger on the side of the road, when he put him on his donkey and checked him into Holiday Inn Express, did he wonder the same thing? We don’t get that kind of insight from the parable. All we know is that he did it. And that Jesus said, “Go and do likewise.”

There are a number of people on this campus who have taken that command to heart, and two of them have agreed to share some of their ministry journey at the upcoming Conversation & Community lunch scheduled for Wednesday, April 3 from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. in the Cafeteria Creole Room. Both Shea Lowery and Laurie Nelson have unique ways of reaching out to those in difficult life circumstances, and they’ll challenge us with their stories. I hope you’ll plan now to attend … you get a free lunch, a wonderful opportunity to fellowship with other women students, and a reminder that we’re called to live out those lessons we teach.

No comments: