Thursday, May 5, 2011

'Down' doesn't mean 'out'

I want to write this down before I forget it . . . before I forget how encouraged I was on Tuesday when Shaun and Ken were among the ten or so honored during the NOBTS Celebration of Excellence. Two men who have publicly shared of previous drug addictions that passionately defined their pasts but, once behind them, drove them to a different type of excellence. Both of these men desire to serve God with all of their heart, soul, mind, and strength. And God honored them in return.

God, thanks for this real life object lesson of the way you make all things new. Sometimes I get scared that this time in TC is just a 'time out' for SAJ, and not a real life change. I get scared because so many just can't leave their addictions behind despite the best intentions. I get scared because it's so difficult for him to submit to the authority of the place and the program. I get scared because I've been disappointed so many times before.

I imagine that Shaun's family was scared he wouldn't succeed at recovery. Or maybe that Ken would fall back into his old ways. But they haven't. Instead, they've turned their eyes toward the goal of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

SAJ can too. Because 'down' doesn't mean 'out.'

No comments: