Monday, April 29, 2013

Packing My Suitcase



I’ve gotten to travel several times this semester and, each time, I struggle with what to put in my suitcase. If I’m flying, I’ve got to be very judicious about my choices because I don’t want to haul a bunch of luggage through the airport, even if Southwest lets two of my bags fly free. But if I’m driving, my choices seem even harder because, well, I don’t make choices; I just dump stuff in the car and then sort it out as I go along. There must be a happy compromise somewhere between the two.

In our spiritual journeys, we are all the time packing a suitcase. Every Bible study, every sermon, and even conversations with friends are full of spiritual direction that sometimes makes us think, “God, why am I hearing this? I have no point of reference for this stuff.”

It’s really a natural response because that’s how most adults are wired … that’s how adults learn. It’s this concept called andragogy which basically means that adults are most interested in learning subjects that have immediate relevance to their jobs or personal lives. Basically, our lives are so full that we tend to think we don’t have time or energy to invest in stuff that doesn’t matter RIGHT NOW!

But it’s like packing a suitcase. Sure, you need to fit in the things you know you’ll need, but it’s not out-of-the-ordinary to throw in an extra outfit or jacket or swimsuit just in case. You want to be prepared . . . just in case!

So, as you struggle through the end-of-the-semester “why am studying this stuff” blues, hang in there. Picture yourself layering your suitcase with the necessary, the important, and the just-in-case … you’ll be surprised at how much of this information you’ll use right away while other details will be tucked away into the extra spaces just in case.

Oh, and while you’re at it, don’t forget to save room for souvenirs. God’s got some doozies for us to pick up along the way! But that’s a story for a different blog . . . .

No comments: